Saturday, October 30, 2010

On Top of Old Smokey Part 3

Day 2: Saturday (part 2)

So I was starting to find the whole situation to be kind of humorous. I mean, we had made it our goal to be organized on this trip.  ... (clearly, organization was not turning out to be the theme of the weekend.) Phil, on the other hand, was still upset about the way we had to spend the previous night, and was all the more distressed by the fact that his instincts about Lazy J's had been proven correct. ( He had not been previously deceived by their web site as I had been.)
From all we could tell, we had one final option to pursue. Davidson River Campground in the Pisgah National Forest. We headed straight there, because really there was nothing else we could do, if we were still going to be responsible for 3 tykes later that night. I checked their website for open camping sites as we made our way there. Two sites, both 1st come 1st served...we drove a little faster.
As we turned onto the last street there was a sign, obviously advertising camping sites, that was covered in a giant orange, beware of construction tarp. We looked at each other, swallowed the uncertainty that was rising,  and turned into the parking lot. 11am Camping spot acquired! (not before we had to drive back into town, and find an ATM to be able to pay the deposit for our spot...true story)
Life, including vacation, is a lot less stressful when you know you have a place to lay your head for the night. (makes me wonder how Jesus managed to stay anxiety free durring His ministry, and He didn't even have a tent in His car to set up behind a tree if He had to.)
With the car unloaded and our two tents set up a decent distance from the fire ring, Phil and I breathed a sigh of relief and took off for a well deserved (we think) and much needed (we are certain of this) hike.
This hike is worth mentioning for three reasons 1) "Sliding Rock Falls" is not so named because it has anything to do with water, but rather because it poses a high risk of falling to ones death 2) it took us 2 hours to hike to the top (Phil was carrying one of our backpacking bags loaded down with camera equipment, food stuffs, and, because I assumed it would be a short hike and never dreamed that 1/2 way up the trail we would both be sweating like the 4th of July, a (one) half empty water bottle.)
3) this is what we saw when we (FINALLY) reached the top. (Bright unhindered sunlight was not the best for allowing us to capture the beautiful fall colors that stretched for miles.)




I understand that I am taking my sweet time to share this story, please bear with me, I have yet to be able to catch up on my sleep from this very trip, I am doing my best to stay awake to post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment